If you are interested in studying abroad in USA with a fully-funded scholarship then this is a golden opportunity for you to achieve your dreams. Fulbright Scholarships known as The Fulbright Foreign Student Program are currently open. This article will explain in detail what the scholarship is all about, its benefits and we’ll provide a step-by-step guide on how to apply for the Fulbright Foreign Student Program.
About the Fulbright Scholarship Program
The Fulbright Scholarship Program 2023/2024 is a fully-funded scholarship for international students to study in the United States. The Program enables graduate students, young professionals, and artists to study and conduct research in any university or institution in the US. The Fulbright Foreign Student Program is only open to students enrolled in Ph.D programs. The scholarship covers full tuition fee, a living stipend, full accommodation fee, airfare and health insurance.
The Fulbright Foreign Student Program is a research program funded by the U.S. Department of State and administered by the Institute of International Education (IIE).
The FFSP program is designed primarily to strengthen the capacities of African universities through higher degree training and to develop the potential of their academic staff. It is targeted at young and exceptionally promising faculty members who wish to conduct their doctoral research in the United States. Applicants must be at least two years into their doctoral program in any discipline at a Nigerian university or research institute at the time of application.
Benefits of the Fulbright Scholarship Program
The Fulbright Scholarship Program grant covers the following:
- Full tuition
- A round-trip plane ticket to the United States
- A settling-in allowance
- Housing Allowance
- Monthly Stipend
- Computer Allowance
- Books-and-Supplies Allowance
- Health Insurance Coverage
Note: The grant does not cover the travel of dependents; hence grantees will not be allowed to travel with spouses and children to the United States.
Eligibility for the Fulbright Scholarship Program
To be eligible for the Fulbright Foreign Student Program grant:
- Applicants must be citizens or nationals from any of these 155 countries around the world.
- Applicants must be DOCTORAL OR Ph.D. students who have completed a significant amount of their doctoral program in their home country.
- Note: MASTERS and First-Degree applicants are NOT qualified to apply for this program.
- Applicants must have an outstanding academic record and a high level of English proficiency.
- Applicants must take their first TOEFL exam by May 2022.
- Applicants must meet the minimum score on required standardized tests (TOEFL: a score of 90)
- Applicants must have high motivation and a serious commitment to completing the program as scheduled and return to their home country.
- Only applicants with strong proposals outlining their research objectives, methodology, time frame, and justification for conducting the research in the U.S. will be shortlisted for interviews.
- Preference will be given to applicants who have not studied in the U.S.
- Those in business, law and accounting should understand that most U.S. institutions rarely accept research students in these fields due to the high demand for full-time programs and tuition concerns. Therefore, we face great challenges finding placements for such grantees unless their proposals are tilted toward economics, development-related areas, democracy, human rights and conflict resolution.
- Program eligibility and selection procedures vary widely by country.
- Please see the country specific websites to find information about the Fulbright Program in your home country, including eligibility requirements and application guidelines.
How to Apply for the Fulbright Scholarship Program 2023/2024
The Fulbright Foreign Student Program applications are processed by bi-national Fulbright Commissions/Foundations or U.S. Embassies. Therefore, international students must apply through the Fulbright Commission/Foundation or U.S. Embassy in their home countries.
It is important to visit the official website (see link below) and the country specific websites for detailed information on how to apply for the Fulbright Scholarship Program in your country.
Deadline for the Fulbright Scholarship Program
Deadline varies for each of the 155 countries but basically, the application starts and closes around February to October annually.